To model a sequoia, capturing the red quality of the bark, and the deep, sometimes irregular grooves, I feel is essential. I continue to improve on this effort with each tree I make. I have made some progress with the bark detail and texture. Perhaps I made some progress toward prototypical color. (you must click on the image to get the full size). The coloring process for these is complex, using sequential layers of clothing dye intermixed with layers of fresh steel wool/vinegar solution.
The trees similar to these were used in a
X-box internet commercial. The Sequoia bark was not needed, but I used the techniques I had learned with the carving and engraving of the bark detail, which was another opportunity for improvement. (you must click on the image to get the full size).