Example: 25 Inch Tall Sequoia Tree
Example: 19 & 25 Inch Tall Redwood Tree "Snags"
Sold 19 Inch Tall Redwood Tree
Made To Order. Trunk is handcrafted and colored with multiple dyes to yield the effect pictured. Foliage is placed individually in small portions over each branch. Each Redwood or Sequoia is truly one-of-a-kind. Deer pictured is HO scale 1/87. Use the radio-button selector to choose whether you want Dead Top or Live Top. Dead Top is shown. Figures and wood base not included, but different wood bases are available for a surcharge. Lead time on this item is 3 weeks. If there are other features you want, I just need to know. (Please contact Roger via email or phone for a custom wood base.)
Example: 24 Inch Tall Redwood Tree with added Custom Burnout
Example: 44 Inch Tall Redwood Tree
About Making Redwood and Sequoia Trees
- find Port Orford cedar trunk material in the woods (a log 8-10" diameter 4-5ft length). Drag it back to the shop.
- initial chainsaw trunk shape
- Lathe/router to improve trunk to general taper shape
- saburrtooth tool for base of trunk and grooves
- sanding disc edge to deepen grooves
- pruner blades for additional bark texture
- burn off the fuzzy stuff w/mapp gas
- Initial two-part water-based dye application
- dry 24hr @ 100F
- large wire wheel to surface / remove surface dye color
- Black tea for tannins & "sweet n sour" application
- dry it
- dead branches sort & dye step 1 as above
- dead branches dye step 2 as above
- dry dead branches
- drill branch holes
- glue in branches
- finish interfaces / putty / paint
- make repairs to dead branches gone wrong
- prepare pitch, oil paint, beeswax mix
- Make foliage green branch material
- tear & add material piece by piece using tree pitch/beeswax mix
- reinforce each piece with white glue (dries clear)
- finish top details
- reinforce strength of foliage w/ Matte Medium spray 1
- repeat 26.
- Highlights color #1
- highlights color #2
- "bug it" (apply rusty color to tips of branches for "dead needle effect"
- Moss (?)
- Lichen (?)
- done !