Available: 19 Inch Tall Redwood Tree
Not made to order, this one is in stock! The tree you see is the tree you get. Figures and wood base not included. Foliage is placed individually in small portions over each branch. Trunk is colored with multiple dyes to yield the effect pictured. Truly a one of a kind redwood tree!
Example: 24 Inch Tall Redwood Tree
Example: 44 Inch Tall Redwood Tree
About Making Redwood and Sequoia Trees
- find Port Orford cedar trunk material in the woods (a log 8-10" diameter 4-5ft length). Drag it back to the shop.
- initial chainsaw trunk shape
- Lathe/router to improve trunk to general taper shape
- saburrtooth tool for base of trunk and grooves
- sanding disc edge to deepen grooves
- pruner blades for additional bark texture
- burn off the fuzzy stuff w/mapp gas
- Initial two-part water-based dye application
- dry 24hr @ 100F
- large wire wheel to surface / remove surface dye color
- Black tea for tannins & "sweet n sour" application
- dry it
- dead branches sort & dye step 1 as above
- dead branches dye step 2 as above
- dry dead branches
- drill branch holes
- glue in branches
- finish interfaces / putty / paint
- make repairs to dead branches gone wrong
- prepare pitch, oil paint, beeswax mix
- Make foliage green branch material
- tear & add material piece by piece using tree pitch/beeswax mix
- reinforce each piece with white glue (dries clear)
- finish top details
- reinforce strength of foliage w/ Matte Medium spray 1
- repeat 26.
- Highlights color #1
- highlights color #2
- "bug it" (apply rusty color to tips of branches for "dead needle effect"
- Moss (?)
- Lichen (?)
- done !